Worried about the complications and side-effects of traditional treatment methods? There is a better solution: Robotic Prostatectomy.
Robotic prostatectomy, also known as Robotic-Assisted Laparoscopic Radical Prostatectomy, is a minimally invasive approach to prostate cancer surgery. Ayal M. Kaynan, MD is a recognized leader in this procedure and delivers outstanding results to his patients.
The daVinci Surgical Robot, manufactured by Intuitive Surgical, Inc. (Sunnyvale, CA) has led to a revolution in prostate surgery. Compared to traditional open methods, patients now typically have virtually no blood loss, little pain, and a more rapid recovery, including earlier return to urinary control and sexual function.
The cancerous gland is accessed through a few small “keyhole” portals on the abdomen. The organ is then manipulated and removed using very tiny instruments that allow roboticists like Dr. Kaynan to precisely spare certain structures key to long-term function. This sophisticated robotic method helps to prevent harm to the surrounding healthy tissues.
After daVinci prostatectomy, the patient is left with only a few small marks on the abdomen, and none of the scars typically associated with traditional prostate cancer surgery.
Dr. Kaynan is one of the first surgeons in the world to perform robotic surgery of any kind, and in 2001 published one of the first abstracts demonstrating the surgical efficiencies of robotic surgery. He now routinely performs robotic surgery for prostate cancer in particular, as well as a variety of other urologic ailments. He also proctors and trains other surgeons who have newly embraced this technology.
Dr. Kaynan’s experience is unique in that he first trained in standard open surgical principles before completing a fellowship (additional post-doctoral training) in laparoscopic techniques. He trained in robotics as a fellow, and further as an honorary laparoscopic urologic oncology fellow. Few surgeons world-wide have made such a balanced and formal commitment to the video-telescopic treatment of urologic cancers.
Summary of daVinci Robotic Prostatectomy for the treatment of prostate cancer*:
- The majority of Dr. Kaynan’s daVinci Prostatectomy patients are discharged from the hospital one day after surgery.
- Blood loss and scarring are reduced to an insignificant minimum.
- Robotic prostatectomy patients recover faster compared to open prostatectomy.
- Video magnification, Endowrist instrumentation, and gas insufflation better allow for achievement of the prostate cancer “trifecta”: eradication of cancer, preservation of urinary control, and preservation of sexual potency.
- daVinci Prostatectomy is standard of care for patients with prostate cancer and has been used on millions of patients world-wide. Virtually all patients who are candidates for prostate cancer surgery are candidates for a daVinci Prostatectomy.
|Open Surgery||Robotic Surgery|
|Hospital Stay||85% 1 day||95% 1 day|
|Estimated Blood Loss||600 cc||<150 cc|
|Postop Pain (0-10)||7||3|
|Catheter Time||2 weeks||1 week|
|Return to Driving||4-6 weeks||1 week|
|Time to Urinary Control||6 months||3 month|
|Time to Erections||1 year||6 months|
*The benefits of daVinci Robotic Prostatectomy cannot be guaranteed as surgery is both patient and procedure specific.
** Pathologic T2, Gleason’s 6 tumors; lower margin rates portend better chances of cancer cure.